Monday, June 11, 2007

Anyone Need a Ride?

I just finished watching Ricardo Baeza-Yates in his discussion entitled "Social Media or The Impact of Us." He wows us with some astonishing statistics, such as over 4 billion web pages are viewed each day. The most visited pages are 1. Yahoo 2. Google 3. Microsoft. We have progressed from using the web for searching, discovering, & learning, to staying in touch, and needing my data NOW. It has gone from "The Web," to "My Web," to "Our Web," and is indeed making an impact on our society and how we connect.

I was intrigued by the fact that the most valuable questions are not serviceable on the web. Decades ago, when I was in college, I used to think it would be helpful to find and provide car rides for people going home for weekends and vacations. My invention (never patented, mind you) was to have a central place to telephone to register the fact that you are going in a certain direction and could provide a ride, or register that you needed a ride.

We have come a long way since then, we have blogs, info hotlines, and virtual bulletin boards for posting this data. But, you still cannot pose this question to a search engine, "Does anyone need a ride to Pittsburgh this weekend?" Just as you cannot ask it, "What is the best Indian restaurant in West London?" Ricardo's example was "Where can I go on holiday for a week that costs 1,000 Euros?"

Hence, he postulates that Web 3.0 will replace Web 2.0, and empower us to find answers to life's persistent questions.

Technology issues have been resolved and I downloaded all of my Foxfire extensions all over again.

The garden is doing well, and desperately needs to be weeded. Any volunteers???

TTFN...

No comments: